Product code: 0033.58
Fire-resistant hydraulic fluid based on a water-glycol solution. (HF-C category) with Very High Viscosity Index, anti-wear and antioxidant properties. It is recommended where petroleum based lubricants present risks of accidental fire caused by hose burst or liquid spillage.
PAKELO SAFETY FLUID ISO 46 is a special synthetic fire-resistant fluid based on a water-glycol solution.
The product is particularly suitable for use in hydraulic systems operating in dangerous conditions (presence of flames or extremely high local temperatures) and where it is necessary to reduce as much as possible risks of accidental fire caused by hose burst or liquid spillage.
PAKELO SAFETY FLUID ISO 46 is therefore classified among the fire-resistant fluids, in the HF-C category according to the CETOP classification.
PAKELO SAFETY FLUID ISO 46, made up of aqueous solutions of very stable synthetic fluids, provides furthermore higher/excellent anti-wear, anti-corrosion and anti-foam properties. Next to traditional anti-wear tests (i.e. Vickers Vane Pump Test), the product has been tested, in collaboration with OEMs, on other different types of pumps (gear, axial piston, vane) and under working conditions similar to the real ones.
Although reference limits for water/glycol are known to be lower than a mineral based fluid, PAKELO SAFETY FLUID ISO 46 has shown anti-wear characteristics that can be compared to those of standard lubricants.
PAKELO SAFETY FLUID ISO 46 has furthermore good anti-foam properties and excellent air release characteristics during service.
It has very low pour point and very High Viscosity Index (more than 200).
Product properties guarantee prompt response of servomechanisms, absence of pump cavitation and regular circuit motion.
The product provides the following main advantages:
– fire-resistant: maximum level of protection and no consequence in case of accidental product leakage directly on a heated source;
– good anti-foam properties;
– absolutely non-explosive;
– does not give off toxic exhalations;
– Viscosity Index higher than conventional oils: easy cold start-ups and constant speed during service;
– not subject to separation both in use and during stocking.
– stable to oxidation and to bacteria and thermal oxidation.
– allows to adjust viscosity during service.
Lubricants and materials compatibility
PAKELO SAFETY FLUID ISO 46 is compatible with metals normally used in construction of oleodinamics systems.
We do not recommend the use of this product in systems that use cadmium, zinc and magnesium (materials little used though).
The product shows compatibility with Natural rubbers (NR), Nitrile rubbers (NBR), Buna S (SBR), Fluorocarbon rubbers (Viton®
– FPM and Teflon®
– PTFE), Silicon rubbers (MVQ, Q), Butyl rubbers (IIR). The product is not compatible with Polyurethane rubbers, Vulkolan and Hydrofit (AU), Polyamide rubbers (PA), Amianthus, Leather, Cork, Paper.
Water/glycol based fluids, due to their solvent action, are not compatible with industrial varnishes of previous generation alkyd based and in particular nitro based.
When PAKELO SAFETY FLUID ISO 46 is used for the first time, all unsuited varnishes should be removed leaving internal surfaces without varnish or should be used coatings resistant to water/glycol fluids for example epoxy or phenolic based coating.
Miscibility/Compatibility with hydraulic fluids
This product is compatible with all good quality glycol/water based products.
It is not compatible with all other fluids normally used in hydraulic systems.
Precautions during use
Working temperature of PAKELO SAFETY FLUID ISO 46 should not exceed 65°C, while the optimum temperature of the tank should remain between 30°C and 50°C.
Changing from the use of petroleum based hydraulic fluids or ester based lubricants to PAKELO SAFETY FLUID ISO 46, operating temperatures normally lower down.
Maximum working temperatures should be kept low in order to avoid excessive water evaporation from the solution.
It is also very important to avoid localized temperature increase in the system since it would cause the same anomaly.
Water evaporation causes increase of fluid Viscosity. For this reason we recommend recurrent suitable check-ups of the lubricant in order to be able to provide further indications and among them the simple correction with distilled or deionized water.
The following procedure is recommended in making the change-over from a petroleum hydraulic oil to PAKELO SAFETY FLUID ISO 46.
– drain oil from the system completely. Particular attention should be paid to the reservoir, fluid lines, cylinders, accumulators, filters and other equipment where residual oil may be trapped;
– clean the system of residual sludge and deposits. Remove the paints from the inside of the reservoir. If you have verified that inside a tank there is a varnish that is not compatible with water/glycol fluids, remove the varnish: cleaning should be made with steam whereas not recommended are chlorinated based solvents;
– remove filters;
– flush the system with a minimum quantity of PAKELO SAFETY FLUID ISO 46. Flush initially without operating any load or at minimum pressure, then, bring the fluid up to normal temperature and operate all parts. Operate on the flush fill for several hours in order to guarantee complete circulation. Systems previously filled with HF-D (phosphate esters) fluids should be flushed with mineral oil before proceeding as above;
– drain the flushing charge as completely as possible while it is still warm and without allowing it to settle;
– install clean filter cartridges. (common 10 micron filters can be used). Replace filter elements having zinc or cadmium plated parts with appropriate substitutes. Do not use a highly absorptive filter medium such as activated clay since these filters may alter fluid composition by removing essential additives;
– examine pump parts, O-rings and auxiliary equipment. Worn pumps parts, deteriorated gaskets and seals should be replaced. Leaking pipe points should be repaired;
– reconnect the system and tighten all joints and connections;
– fill again system with the PAKELO SAFETY FLUID ISO 46. Operate at reduced pressure to insure proper lubrication of the hydraulic pump, then bring up the standard operating conditions.
During the first few weeks of operation, particular attention should be paid to the filters and inlet screens. Filters may become clogged by sludge and deposits that have been loosened by the solvent action of the product.
Therefore, filter cartridges should be replaced and inlet screens cleaned as often as needed.
Fields of application
PAKELO SAFETY FLUID ISO 46 is used to substitute petroleum hydraulic oils of all hydraulic systems when due to the operating temperatures and/or closeness to heat sources, a little spillage could cause a fire.
The product can be used in all types of operations and hydraulic equipment where suitable evaluations concerning materials used, gaskets, and type of coating have been made.
It is recommended for hydraulic systems of ovens, machines for hot shearing etc. normally present in glass industries, foundries and metallurgic industries in general.
It is particularly recommended for pressure die-casting machines, electric welders, forging presses, manipulators for steel and glass industries, diecasting machinery.
Levels of performance